Monday, February 27, 2012

Spirulina...

OK - I just read about this supplement and I got the powder form, Bob got the tablets!  If only it came in a chewable for me! A daily 4,500mg dose of this blue-green algae (usually found in supplement or powder form) can help relax artery walls and normalize blood pressure. It may also help your liver balance your blood fat levels—decreasing your LDL cholesterol by 10 percent and raising HDL cholesterol by 15 percent, according  to a recent study.  It's a rich source of natural, plant-based protein, iron, calcium, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants that can help protect cells from damage. Blend 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder into smoothies, whisk it into your favorite vegetable juice, or take it in tablet form (4 tablets (2 g) per day is recommended for adults).  I tried it on  my grapefruit, the color kind of scared me (it was a lot darker green than the picture), but it is fairly tasteless!  I have to figure out another method!  Maybe I will have to have more yogurt and frozen fruit smoothies!  It would probably be great in tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment