Friday, February 15, 2013

A Cut Above the Rest...

I don’t know about you, but I am always confused on what kind of steak to order or buy!  I do love my beef!  Much like the search for a great pair of jeans, it's all about finding the right cut. According to the USDA, there are twenty-nine cuts of beef that qualify as extra lean (less than 5g fat per serving) or lean (less than 10g fat per serving). Stick to extra-lean cuts like top round and top sirloin, and go for lean cuts like strip, tenderloin, T-bone, and shoulder. My favorites are tenderloin (especially filet mignon) and top sirloin. Stay away from ribeye and skirt steak, which typically contain marbling (read: FAT throughout the meat) and higher levels of cholesterol. If you're out at a restaurant, smaller and leaner is definitely the way to go!  Also, If I see grass fed on the menu - I will pay the extra bucks!  For Bob’s birthday we had a beautiful porterhouse steak, aged for 40 days!  It was the best of both worlds - tenderloin and a strip:)

Until Monday - Keep thinking veggies and protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment