Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Parsnip Fries...

It's that time again!  I forgot about how much I love this recipe!  I found the best substitute for French fries - roasted parsnips!  I was never a huge fan of French fries, but put them in front of me and I would eat them!!! I could have eaten the whole tray of these!  Pre-heat the oven to 400.  Peel the parsnips and cut them into French fry size pieces, spray them with some EVOO, add a little salt, pepper and oregano.  Bake them for 30 minutes and there you have it, my version of French fries.  I also add a dash or two of cayenne pepper and smoked hot paprika for some extra heat!

Fact:  Parsnips provide similar nutritional benefits as potatoes.  Some significant differences are that parsnips are lower in calories and contain only about 50 percent of the protein and vitamin C content of potatoes. However, parsnips do contain more fiber than potatoes.  Even though both parsnips and potatoes provide good amounts of B vitamins, parsnips provide a much better source of folic acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment