Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oatmeal secret...
Yesterday was a snow day in Chicago, perfect to start my day with a steaming bowl of oats, which are full of omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium. This fiber-rich superfood can lower levels of LDL (or bad) cholesterol and help keep arteries clear.  I usually opt for the steel-cut oats, but for this recipe I used the good old fashioned rolled oats! 
Here is a great secret that I just heard about and tried - thank you Hungry Girl...
Oatmeal is great, but sometimes the serving size just isn’t quite enough for me!  That's why I am always searching for ways to bulk things up. I made it with at least twice the amount of liquid recommended, cooked it for twice as long, and let it sit for a while until it becomes nice and thick and creamy.  I used a serving of old fashioned rolled oats (1/2 cup-serving size), 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze (only 40 calories a cup!), and 1 cup of water; when it started to thicken, I reduced the heat and let it simmer for about 35 minutes.  The result was a HUUUUGE bowl of oatmeal that was fairly thick, creamy, smooth, and yummy. Only about 200 calories! Go ahead and experiment with other ingredients!  I personally love a packet of splenda and some fresh or frozen berries!  Go ahead and make an extra batch and portion it out for future breakfasts to have on the run!  Don’t go too crazy - remember, oatmeal is high in carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment