Monday, July 11, 2011

Another Yogurt Choice...

Skyr - This Icelandic yogurt is technically a soft cheese, but its texture and nutrients are similar to Greek yogurt, and it includes the same basic ingredients: skim milk and live active cultures. Skyr is made using a centuries-old straining processes that removes the whey (liquid), which makes it creamy and thick - stick a spoon in it and turn it upside down – it won’t fall out! without providing any fat. A single 6 oz container of plain, nonfat packs 17 g of protein compared to about 15 g in Greek  and 8 g in traditional yogurt. 
I did a taste test, side by side with my yogurt of choice - Fage.  It was a bit thicker and a bit tangier!  I found it at Whole Foods and only in the small, 6 ounce containers (on sale - 2 for $4.00).  For now I will stick with my Fage!  Always remember, to save on the sugars and the calories,  add your own fresh or frozen berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment