Monday, October 18, 2010

Butternut Squash...

How many times am I allowed to mention how much I LOVE the fall?  Squash season is here and when I can’t find my favorite kabocha squash I will get the butternut.  Buttternut is a bit of a pain to work with and when Bob isn’t around to help me out, I found these great tips ‘n tricks for working with this fabulous gourd!

Look for a long squash with a short round section. The round part is mostly hollow, with seeds and stuff that need to be removed. But the long part is all flesh, perfect for cubing, spearing, etc. 
Start by hacking off the ends and then slicing the squash in half widthwise. Then you'll have two easy-to-work-with pieces with flat ends. 
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Drag it firmly down the length of the pieces in strips. Keep peeling until you get to the bright orangey-yellow part. EZ.
Once your squash halves are peeled, use a sharp knife to cut them in half lengthwise. If your squash is unusually firm and tough to slice, try nuking it in the microwave for about 45 seconds to soften it. 
Carefully slice or scoop out the sections of squash with the seeds and fibers attached, and then throw them away.  Then scoop or slice the rest of the squash.  Done!

I roast my squash and hopefully it will make it into any recipe before I eat it straight out of the oven, always burning my mouth!


No comments:

Post a Comment