Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cuisinart hand held stick blender…

Lately one of the most frequent questions that people have been asking me is about my salad dressing and the fact that I don’t use any oil.  At home I basically only use oil, and it is the spray or pump form, and usually used for sautéing or for non-stick purposes.  My dressings vary depending on what I am using it for.  I get out my Cuisinart hand held blender and always start with a red wine vinegar, ZERO calories and sometimes a touch of rice wine vinegar – unseasoned, again, Zero calories.  A squeeze of Lemon and some basil for light vinaigrette, Dijon mustard if I want to spice it up.  I love the frozen cubes of basil and cilantro you can get at Trader Joe’s since our herb garden is resting for the winter. Sometimes I just experiment with other herbs and spices, peppers, wasabi and even salsa.  You can thicken it up with some fat free Greek yogurt and add some splenda if you need to sweeten it up!  Just go for it!  Get away from those bottled brands and really try and stay away from restaurant dressings – that is were most of the calories are in any salad!  If I order a salad out – I just ask for a plate of lemons.  I was never one for over dressed salads, always had my dressing served on the side!  Just keep experimenting – you can’t go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment