Friday, January 22, 2010


Instant-Read Thermometer…

Wow!  Being the novice chef that I am, this really comes in handy!  I have learned that lean meats' lower in fat content can make cooking tricky: A little too long in the oven or smoker, and a moist, perfectly done pork tenderloin or roasted chicken can quickly turn dry. Enter the instant-read thermometer, which takes away the guesswork. Bob, he never has to check!  Me, well, my chicken, pork tenderloin or beef would probably cook a little quicker if I weren’t constantly checking the temperature!  Bob and I both like our protein more on the rare side.  I now know that chicken needs to be at 160 degrees, pork about 125 and steaks at 120.  You also have to consider the carry over cooking (resting), the temperature will rise an additional 7-10 degrees so your food might become medium rare instead of rare!  So much to think about! I am learning and haven’t done too awful a job.  Again, most of the time I am using my stovetop smoker and even if I do over cook my protein – it still tastes great!!!

Until Monday… remember those veggies and protein!


No comments:

Post a Comment