Monday, September 6, 2010

ENERGY GELS, CHEWS AND BLOCKS...
For my long runs I have found I need a little bit more to get me through the course!  I have been reluctant to using these again, but rule of thumb is, anytime you plan on exercising for more then 90 minutes you should use a supplement!  My rapid energy fuel of choice is “HAMMER GEL” in raspberry flavor.  It is made with natural ingredients and only has 2g of sugar opposed to most gels that have 12g’s.  They are all loaded with carbohydrates (23g’s), but the Hammer is only 90 calories!  
These sports fuels provide fast-acting, easy-to-digest carbohydrate--exactly what hard-working muscles and the brain require to perform while running fast or long.
PROS: Easy to chew and the gels are also easy to digest; many varieties also provide sodium and small amounts of caffeine, another performance booster during prolonged exercise.
CONS: Need to be taken with recommended amount of water (6 to 8 ounces); semi-solid chews and blocks may boost blood sugar levels more slowly than gels; toting enough with you requires wearing a carrier of some sort.
I also find my recovery from the long runs is much better!  Don’t forget to drink plenty of water and reward yourself with a healthy meal after your workout!  


No comments:

Post a Comment