Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The baby carrot vs. the stick...
OR
Cost vs. convenience...
I liked this study!
Is it worth it?  We bought a 1-pound bag of organic arrots for $1.49 and several 1-pound bags of organic baby carrots for $2.29 each.
Baby carrots: 80-86 carrots per bag.  That averages just under 3 cents each.
Whole carrots:  peeling and cutting each carrot into four sticks took about 20 seconds per carrot.  But the yield of 104 carrot sticks, that was a cost of 1 cent each.
Conclusion:  Baby carrots are quicker, but they cost three times as much per stick.
As for taste - I don’t see much of a difference!  I go through my phases, but as of lately I have been tending more towards the sticks!  I love shaved carrots in my salads, and that is just too hard to do with the baby carrots!  I am also in my roasting phase - roasting the carrots, really brings out the sweetness! Also noteworthy is that there is some waste in making the baby carrots.  The baby carrots are carrots cut in short lengths and run through a grinder.  Like many root vegetables, there is a lot of nutrition just under the skin, yet very little nutrition is lost during the processing. As long as you are eating something that is fully orange, you’re getting beta-carotene, which is the primary benefit of carrots!
I am so into carrots these days, I think I am going to turn orange!  Orange you glad you know all this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment