Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving leftovers....
(sorry, last years photo!)

Weight-loss tip: Think about your sandwich add-ons.
The best part of Thanksgiving is the day after - the leftovers, and we always have plenty of it!  Turkey sandwiches were my favorite. I would just pile on everything from the dinner, the stuffing, cranberries and cheese!  Now, if I had leftovers :( -  my hearty go-to lunch sandwich will already contain enough protein to keep me satisfied, so I leave off that extra slice of cheese, which is about 105 calories.  Also, swapping the two tablespoons of mayo (115 calories) on my sandwich for a smear of dijon mustard. Ditching the cheese-and-mayo combo will save me 213 calories and of course I wouldn’t even be going near the stuffing and cranberries! 
When we have our Turkey - I will make a stock and have the best turkey vegetable soup in the universe!  Hopefully next week :).  Will I have a sandwich? I will opt for the turkey roll-up sandwich in lettuce and probably save another 150 calories!
Turkey Myth...
Turkey makes you sleepy
If you find yourself nodding off on the couch after the Thanksgiving feast, don't blame the poor old turkey. While it's true that turkey contains tryptophan--an amino acid that's a precursor to calming, feel-good serotonin--there's not enough tryptophan in roasted turkey to tire you out. In fact, there's more tryptophan in cheese and chicken breast than there is in turkey. The real reason you're sleepy? It's likely the stress of the holiday, the hours spent cooking, the wine and spirits--and all the fat and calories you just consumed.
Until Monday - keep thinking veggies and protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment