Monday, November 8, 2010

Brussels Sprout Salad...
Thank you Chef Rita for the recipe clues and thank you Hub 51 for introducing me to this fabulous salad.  
This is my version...
Bob brought home a whole stalk of brussels sprouts and I had to use them up in a hurray!  The most time consuming part of this recipe is the preparation work!  I had to take the leaves off every brussels sprout!  Cut the bottoms and peel the leaves off, cut the bottoms and peel and more cutting and peeling!  Get a pot of water boiling, add a pinch of salt and let them boil for maybe 1-2 minutes then hurray and get them in the cold water to stop from cooking - oh yeah - this is called blanching :).  I put them through my salad spinner a few to times to get the access water off of them.  
I cut up some celery for some extra crunch, diced some carrots, threw in a handful of dried cranberries and some chopped pecans for a treat.  I decided to keep it light and made one of my herb, lemon and wasabi vinaigrettes and added salt and pepper to my taste.  Again, this is one of those recipes that you can alter to your own likings.  It’s just a great alternative to the everyday romaine, or mixed greens!  Add a protein and you have a meal! 
Please note that the pecans and the cranberries are a treat for me, something I indulge in very seldom and in great moderation because of the sugar and added calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment