Monday, February 22, 2010

Mushrooms….

I just can’t get enough!  I love the earthy flavor of mushrooms!  Bob and I traveled to Arlington Heights to Mitsuwa Japanese Market on Saturday.  It was slightly overwhelming for my first visit, but when I saw the mushrooms I was in heaven.   We made a quick decision for our Saturday night dinner!  We got the 100% pure Berkshire Pork, sliced perfectly, four different kinds of mushrooms, (Enoki, Brown forest, shitaki and Miatai) baby broccoli, bok choy and fresh bamboo shoots.   Bob did a magnificent job putting all these ingredients together for a fabulous meal! He first sautéed an onion, garlic and ginger.  Browned the mushrooms, added a tablespoon of  low sodium soy, black pepper to taste a cup of homemade chicken stock, then flash cooked the pork and laid the Enoki mushrooms on top.  Served with a wonderful brown rice with some pickled ginger (0 sugar) for some extra flavor!  A great glass of red wine!  Mushrooms, wine = heaven.

“Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 percent water, and are very low in calories (only 100 cal/oz). They have very little sodium and fat, and 8 to 10 percent of the dry weight is fiber. Hence, they are an ideal food for persons following a weight management program.”


2 comments:

  1. I love Mitsuwa!

    Their food court is interesting--it is a hit or a miss, since I usually don't know enough about what I'm ordering.

    I haven't been there in years, but I remember them having a good cookware section.

    Here is my blog: http://greypele.wordpress.com/
    I haven't posted in a bit, but I hope to add how-to videos this weekend.
    Mind if I add a link to your site?

    -Kimberly

    ReplyDelete