Monday, December 20, 2010

Kabocha Squash..
This squash is becoming more and more popular these days.  It has definetly become one of my favorites!  I use it all the time and I even made a harvest lasagna with it (see blog 11/22).    I just cut them in half, place on a baking sheet face down in a 375 degree oven and bake until tender. Once roasted, the skin is thin enough to eat and I find myself slicing off small pieces right out of the oven!  If we are lucky, it makes it to the table! This sweet, starchy, Japanese favorite is like butternut squash's way-cooler cousin. It tastes AMAZING and is now one of our all-time FAVORITE potato swap. A 3-oz. serving (about 3/4 cup of cubes) has just 30 calories, 0g fat, 0mg sodium, 7g carbs, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, and 1g protein.  When I feel inspired and have the patience, I rinse off the seeds, dry them out and toast them with some salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.  Just a little something extra to nosh on!

No comments:

Post a Comment