Thursday, December 16, 2010

Party Tip...

Who doesn’t love cheese?  One of the hardest foods I had take out of my equation!  I do not keep it in the house.  But when I do go to a party and there is the choice to make, because I just have to have a small sample of what I have been missing, what to do - Soft or Hard Cheese?
The Better Choice: Soft Cheese
Brie is hardly a health food, but some soft cheeses like Brie and goat are slightly lower in calories than hard cheeses like Cheddar and Gruyère. A one-ounce serving of Brie―about the amount you'd put on two crackers―contains 94 calories; one ounce of Gruyère has 117 calories. While all cheese is high in fat―most of it the artery-clogging, saturated kind―soft cheeses have a tiny bit less fat than hard eight grams in an ounce of Brie, nine in an ounce of Cheddar.
But… You'll get a slightly bigger dose of calcium from hard cheese. A serving of Gruyère packs 286 milligrams of bone-strengthening calcium, while a serving of Brie contains a mere 52 milligrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment