Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chard...

One of the things I am learning about cooking is that you can substitute just about anything! I love substituting chard sometimes for spinach!  Since it cooks the same as spinach I often combine the two.  It has a milder and sweeter flavor than some of the other greens.  You can find swiss chard in a rainbow of colors - white, red, yellow and even pink!   Most recipes mostly call for just the leaves.  Don't discard the stems, they offer an added layer of texture and a colorful punch to the leafy greens.  It's best to cook them sparely, after thinly slicing, than adding back to the greens at the end of cooking. 
Don’t forget - swiss chard is packed with nutrition.  It is an excellent source of vitamins C, E, and K, carotenes, chlorophyll, and fiber.  It is also an excellent source of several minerals including potassium, magnesium, iron, and manganese.  Swiss chard is also a good source of many other nutrients including vitamin B6, protein, calcium, thiamine, selenium, zinc, niacin, and folic acid.  

I find myself adding chard to soups and vegetables dishes.  I don't know about anyone else, as much as I love spinach, it sometimes makes my teeth squeak!   


No comments:

Post a Comment