Monday, April 25, 2011

Creamy basil-onion dip...

Chicago Tribune recipe

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 glove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup low-fat yogurt, preferably Greek
1/4 cup finely chopped basil
freshly ground pepper and salt to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion.  Cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 30 minutes.  Add the garlic and vinegar; cook, stirring until garlic softens, about 5 minutes.  Pour the onion-garlic mixture in a bowl; stir in the mayonnaise, yogurt, basil and salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate.
This recipe makes about one cup of dip (I doubled the recipe).

Nutritional information per tablespoon:  56 calories, 79% of calories form fat, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 4 mg cholesterol, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 g protein, 87 mg sodium, 0 g fiber.

I am not a nutritionist so I can't give you the brake down of the nutritional facts of this recipe that I altered.  I totally eliminated the mayo and used Fat Free Greek yogurt.  I used my olive oil spray to caramelize the onions and I did add some smoked paprika for some added flavor.  I also roasted my garlic and squeezed about a tablespoon of lemon!  I served with broccoli florets and snow peas - A Success!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment