Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More on portion control...

Consider your plate size!  The bigger the plate, the more you might fill it!  OK - I will admit that we do use our 12 inch plates for our wonderful salads, otherwise I make such a huge mess on the table!  But when it comes to all other dinners we have learned to cut our calories by downsizing our plates!  It really does help!  I know my eyes are always bigger than my mouth and now I just don’t stuff myself like I used to!  

Not that I eat pasta anymore, but this is a great example:
9-inch plate:
2 ounces of pasta, 1/2 cup sauce, 3 meatballs (3 ounces) = 520 calories
10-inch plate
4 ounces of pasta, 1 cup sauce, 4 meatballs (4 ounces) = 873 calories
12-inch plate
6 ounces pasta, 1 1/2 cup sauce, 5 meatballs (5 ounces) = 1227 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment