Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Veggie Burger...
OK - I for one always thought wow, a veggie burger, a much healthier choice!  It can be, but you really have to watch out, especially if you are ordering out!  I learned this the hard way! I had emailed one of our restaurant managers to get the ingredients of the veggie burger they served us at lunch one day.  I tried to decipher what was in it - it was one of the best veggie burgers I ever had! The response “a lot of things in that burger - lentils, barley, rice, carrots, onions, celery, oats, eggs, pinto beans, cheddar and jalapeno jack cheeses, breadcrumbs and tabasco.”  We won’t even go into the brioche buttered bun they serve it on!  I was correct on the barley and lentils and the vegetables, I didn’t get the cheese, pinto beans, oats and rice!  Have I had one of those since - NO!!!!  
So once again, although some veggie burgers are filled with healthy beans, mushrooms, brown rice, and vegetables, others, especially those at restaurants, can be far from healthy. They’re often held together by butter or oil and large enough to make up two to three meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment