Monday, March 8, 2010

White Tea vs. Green Tea

During this in-between-weather, when it’s warmer outside yet there is a damp chill in the air I am turning to tea for a quick warm me up!  I allow myself that one-cup of coffee in the morning.  I need that java jolt in the AM!  I am not a big fan of green tea and I have been hearing a lot about white tea.  I went to Argo tea and got the white tea with pomegranate for the EXTRA antioxidants.  The pomegranate made it a little too floral for me, but still tasty.  The green tea left me with that "grassy" aftertaste and found the white tea has a much gentler and subtler taste, smooth and silky and almost sweet. The appearance of correctly brewed white tea has been described as a pale gold, not unlike a young white wine.

Studies have shown that white tea has a concentration of antioxidants that is three times higher than in green tea. Essentially, white tea contains the same concentrations of antioxidants as the young and fresh tea leaf buds that are still attached to the bush. This makes white tea the tea with the highest antioxidant content, which for many is the main reason for drinking white tea. For comparison, one cup of white tea contains approximately twelve (12) times as much antioxidants as fresh orange juice. White tea also contains less caffeine than green tea, about 15 mg per serving compared to the 20 mg for green tea. If caffeine tends to make you jittery, white tea may be the better choice. 
I am trying to add this to a daily routine – 3pm tea time anyone


1 comment:

  1. You learn something new everyday! I do not like green tea so this is a great alternative! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete