Monday, April 26, 2010

Avocados…

I have re-introduced one of my favorite fruits into my diet!  Now that I have been maintaining my weight, I am slowly, cautiously and moderately bringing back some of my favorites! I will add an avocado to my salad with chilled jumbo shrimp, along with bell peppers, green onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, edamame with one of my oil free vinaigrettes, a nice lemon basil is mighty tasty! As nourishing as avocados are, remember they are also very high in calories and carbohydrates!

Nutritional facts…
Avocados are a good source of vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin C, folate and copper. Avocados are also a good source of potassium: they are higher in potassium than a medium banana.

Although they are fruits, avocados have a high fat content of between 71 to 88% of their total calories - about 20 times the average for other fruits. A typical avocado contains 30 grams of fat, but 20 of these fat grams are health-promoting monounsaturated fats, especially oleic acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment