Thursday, April 22, 2010

On The Go….

The stress of traveling!  There aren’t many solutions.  I make sure I have my snack pack of almonds, get some fruit at the airport, drink plenty of water and have some sugar free gum on hand – these items have become my traveling buddies!  There just aren’t many healthy choices at the airport and I never was into “airplane” food, unless I am fortunate enough to fly first class where you actually do have a choice! I am even investigating what is available in the terminal I will be flying out of!  NOT MUCH!  I did read a fascinating article on "the unhealthiest foods at the mall."  I think you can use this strategy at the airport as well. There is even an iPhone app "eat this and not that".  It's still all bad, but in a pinch there are ways around it!
Here is an example:
Worst Sandwich
Panera Bread - All-natural pepper-mustard chicken, smoked bacon, smoked cheddar, tomatoes & ancho-chipotle spread on Artisan French bread
990 calories 56 g fat (15 g saturated, 1 g trans) 2370 mg sodium
Eat this instead
Panara  Bread- 99% fat-free smoked turkey breast, leaf lettuce, tomatoes and red onions with mayonnaise, spicy mustard, salt and pepper, all served on your favorite sandwich bread.
560 calories
17 g fat (2.5 g saturated)
1960 mg sodium

Even before I started watching what I eat I personally have pretty much stayed away from any and most of the fast food chains, mostly because they are so high in fats and sodium and so processed!  You can lower the calories even more by eliminating any cheese, any kind of sauce and of course go for the whole wheat bread whenever you can! I know there isn't a Panera Bread at the airport; I will be on the search for any healthy choices for future travel! 

I just had a brainstorm – PBJ’s! Smear of almond butter and a low cal, low sugar jam on protein bread! A sandwich that doesn’t need to be kept chilled and that will help me get me through another 4-hour flight!

Happy Trails....



1 comment:

  1. I want to hear more about some Peanut Butter - Jelly alternative's? I used to love my white wonder white bread, Smuckers preserves, and crunchy Jiffy......

    Traveling and eating right has always been a challenge.

    ReplyDelete