Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Pain No Gain…

We have all heard it before!  This is the time of year many people really get serious about working out!  January was the New Year resolution, now it is bikini/show off your body time! The weather is great and you just want to be outside!   As you dig into a new fitness regimen, the discomfort of exercise can be, well, uncomfortable.  The burning muscles and gasping for air can fell desperate.  Start off slow and easy, as you increase your exercise it will just get easier!  Don't give up training because you think the early discomfort is a signal you aren't cut out for exercise.  The truth is, EVERYONE is cut out for exercise!

Some scientists now believe that your body signals you to stop exercise well before the point of exhaustion, to keep a little in reserve in case you need to it!  But each time you can motivate yourself to push through that point, your body sets the limit a little higher.  Continuing to exercise actually will "immunize" you against the discomfort you feel when you first start out!

Time is of the essence for me and my training for the 10 miler in May!  I really did push through my long run on Sunday!  I set out with a goal to do 8-9 miles, and that extra push and the song "Dancing in the Streets" by Martha Reeves got me to do the complete 10 miles!  It wasn't easy, but I felt great knowing I surpassed my goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment