Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cool as a cucumber…

The phrase "cool as a cucumber" is not without merit. This vegetable's high water content gives it a very unique moist and cooling taste. 

The flesh of cucumbers is primarily composed of water but also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. The cucumbers' hard skin is rich in fiber and contains a variety of beneficial minerals including silica, potassium and magnesium.

Like I have mentioned so many times, I love salads and cucumbers have become a staple in my refrigerator.  Besides all the health benefits, I just simply love the cool, fresh crunch they add to my salad.  Remember those little cucumber sandwiches that are served as appetizers, or think about those little tea sandwiches!  Sometimes I will spread a wedge of laughing cow light cheese on a slice of protein bread and slice up some cucumbers and voila! a tasty little afternoon tea time snack!


No comments:

Post a Comment